Undertale


I didn't think much of the looks of Undertale when it first came out. But I kept hearing talk about it being this amazing game, so I had a closer look.

Undertale's big selling point is it's a game where you don't have to kill anyone. That's not that
uncommon, there are plenty of non-violent video games. But, to be fair, the amount of games that allow you to take a non-violent path from a violent situation are much fewer. Fewer still that would be bold enough to tout that as the main reason to buy the game.

So I got curious and bought the game. The story is you play as a child that's fallen into a strange world of monsters. There was some great war between humans and monsters centuries ago and the monsters were sealed away. The monster king needs 7 human souls to unlock the seal, and he already has 6. So you must journey through this monster realm to find your way back home. The thing is, these monsters mostly want to kill you because of what you are and what that means for their freedom, but they're not evil. In fact, most of them are friendly. That, coupled with the cutesy theme of the game will probably make you reluctant to kill them, although the choice is yours.

The gameplay is fairly basic, combat is a matter of selecting your attacks/actions. Defence involves a small dodging mini-game which is engaging enough to break up the monotony. The humour also helps carry things along. Mostly you'll be playing this game for the story, for the journey it takes you on. It's pretty cheesy and corny, but what can I say, it got me in. I think that's basically the crux of it, either the dorky characters will charm you, and you'll have a good time, or they'll put you off, and you won't.

That whole choosing not to kill gimmick ends up playing a pretty big part in the story, and there are secret endings depending on how many people you killed or saved. I enjoyed it enough that I played through the whole game again to win the pacifism ending.

So, would I recommend? Yeah, I'd give this a strong recommendation, I think it's quite good. I give It 4/5 stars.

Comments

Popular Posts